Thursday, July 23, 2009

The 10 Most Important Things You Can Say to a Jehovah's Witness

I must warn anyone thinking of buying this book that this book was written as a witnessing tool for Christians to use when Jehovah’s Witnesses knock on their door.

Before I go any further though I must ask a question. If this book was written in 2001 then why did Ron decide to use the 1961 version of The New World Translation, the Jehovah’s Witness bible, When the version they use is the 1984 one? At least that was still the case when I stopped going to the Jehovah’s Witness meetings in 2005.

May I suggest a new title for this book. I’m feeling that it should be called How to prove the Trinity is right to Jehovah’s Witnesses As it seems that this is Ron Rhodes’ main problem with JW’s as he spends at least 3-4 chapters of this book trying to prove that the trinity is a bibicial doctrine. I’m not sure whether it is bibicial or not but what I do know is that how it makes God sounds like he suffers from  Mutiple personality disorder with the difference that all of them think they are God. Then again the Trinity has never made much sense to me so…

One last thing and then I will end this review. In the last chapter Ron suggests that if after telling the Jehovah’s Witness about how you found Christ they are interested in having a relationship with Jesus then you should lead them into a pray like this:

Dear Jesus I want to have a relationship with you I know I can’t save myself because I’m a sinner. I believe you died on the cross for me. Thank you I accept your free gift of salvation. Thank you, Jesus Amen

However I must point out that the Jehovah’s Witnesses have a way of dealing with this kind of thing and I don’t think you will like it. You see they have a book called Reasoning From The Scriptures which was published in 1989 and it is used to help them deal with certain situations when going door to door. Here is a part dealing when people ask them to pray with them.

If Someone Says—

‘Pray with me first, then give me your message’

You might reply: ‘I’m glad to know that you are a person who appreciates the importance of prayer. Jehovah’s Witnesses also pray regularly. But there is something that Jesus said about when and how to pray that may be new to you. Did you know that he told his disciples not to offer public prayers with a view to having others see that they were devout, praying persons? . . . (Matt. 6:5)’ Then perhaps add: ‘Notice what he went on to say should be of primary concern to us and what we should put first in our prayers. That is what I have come to share with you. (Matt. 6:9, 10)’

Or you could say: ‘I know that representatives from some religious groups do that. But Jehovah’s Witnesses do not, because Jesus instructed his disciples to go about their work of preaching in another manner. Instead of saying, “When you enter a house, first pray,” notice what he said, as found here at Matthew 10:12, 13. . . . And see here in verse 7 what they were to talk about. . . . How can that Kingdom help people like you and me? (Rev. 21:4)’

Oh by the way I didn’t type the part above by hand instead I copied and pasted it from my copy of the 2003 Watchtower CD-Rom that was given to me in 2004.

As for Ron Rhodes book it is interesting to read but if you want to know about their beliefs then try something else. I will let you know if I find anything that fits the bill.



No comments:

Post a Comment