Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Book Review: Johnny Be Good by Paige Toon

If your boss was the hottest rock star on the planet, would you mix business with pleasure? I’m Meg Stiles. This is my leaving party. And that song we’re making a mockery of? That’s written by one of the biggest rock stars in the world. And I’m moving in with him tomorrow. Seriously! I am not even joking. Well, maybe I’m misleading you a little bit. You see, I haven’t actually met him yet …No, I’m not a stalker. I’m his new PA. His Personal Assistant. And I am off to La-La Land. Los Angeles. The City of Angels - whatever you want to call it - and I can’t bloody believe it! Celebrity PA to wild boy of rock Johnny Jefferson, Meg’s glam new life in sun-drenched LA is a whirlwind of showbiz parties and backstage passes. Cool, calm Christian, in town to write his famous friend’s biography, helps keep Meg’s feet firmly on the ground. But with Johnny’s piercing green eyes and a body Brad Pitt would kill for, how long will it be before she’s swept right off them again?



Read my review underneath

After reading a review of Paige’s first novel, Lucy in the Sky, in Heat magazine I thought it sounded great so got hold of a copy and absolutely loved it so I couldn’t wait when I read about Paige’s second novel and I wasn’t disappointed…

Meg is off to Los Angeles to be CPA (Celebrity PA) to Johnny Jefferson, the hottest rockstar on the planet. She tells herself she will not fall for him but ultimately does. We follow her as she tries to figure out her feelings for Johnny and we constantly wonder if they will or if they won’t get together. Also in the mix is Christian, Johnny’s best friend and writer of his auto-biography, he helps to keep Meg’s feet on the ground.

It was a fabulous read and, if any of it is true, it shows a lot about what goes on in the world of a rockstar, the drinking and the drugs. Johnny was a good, but flawed, character and I kept hoping he would wake up and smell the coffee. All the minor characters were great; Davey, Santiago, Kitty, Rosa (I loved Rosa).

I think the only disappointment, and it is minor, was the ending. It left me feeling a bit… “huh?” I’m hopeful of a sequel, or even a mention in Chasing Daisy (the way we heard about Lucy from Lucy in the Sky in this one).

In the end I did love the book and the epilogue was only a minor minor disappointment. I whizzed throught the book and it was a real page-turner.

As Trashionista do I will rate all books out of 5.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment