Sunday, December 20, 2009

While Europe Slept by Bruce Bawer

I have just finished this extraordinary book by Bruce Bawer. I was left angry, more educated and more confident in my own beliefs after having read this book. Bawer lived in several European countries and writes about his own experiences and conversations with Europeans and the appalling policy of appeasement and self-editing many people now do. We cannot ignore the message inherent in this work: we have to pay attention to the threat that Islam poses for western civilization and we must act to save our precious freedoms from an ideology bent on the subjugation of women, the murder of Jews and homosexuals and non-believers. I recommend this book to anyone who is open-minded enough to read another person’s opinion, which is based on facts and experience.

Near the end is this important message to Americans:

“When visiting Europe, many Americans, to avoid discomfort and court easy praise, take every opportunity to put down their own country in terms designed to gratify European sensibilities and reinforce European stereotypes. Those who do this are traitors – not to America, but to the truth, to themselves, and to their interlocutors – and should cut it out.”

I agree wholeheartedly with this paragraph because I have done this same thing myself, due to the overwhelming (and misplaced) anti-American sentiment that pervades modern European culture. I have even at times tried either not to speak at all or to use a fake accent in order to not get into trouble with my new countrymen and women. Bawer is right, it is shameful to do thus and I shan’t do it again. Nor should you or anyone. We must stand up for what is right and true and good in this life or we will lose everything indeed.

[Via http://andreazuvich.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment