Monday, April 27, 2009

My inner geek and interrupting Jesus...

I got this in the mail today and my inner geek is going nuts!  Bart Ehrman is a textual critic (someone who analyzes a text in a family of manuscripts to determine what the original most likely said) who has arrived at the conclusion that much of the Bible isn’t what it seems.  I received this copy and was asked to read it and blog about it, so I’ll be reading it and posting on it in the next 30 days.  I’ll give you my scoop.  The publisher’s little blurb says Ehrman suggests, “not only that the Bible is riddled with inconsistencies and outright forgeries, but that many of Christianity’s fundamental stories and doctrines don’t actually exist within its pages—they were later inventions by people trying to make sense of a disconnected collection of texts. The Scriptures did not come down to us through the ages in one, harmonious, unbroken version. The story of Jesus was, in fact, interrupted.”  You can read more about the book here.

You can watch Bart Ehrman talk about it on YouTube here…

or

You can watch Bart Ehrman get interviewed by the distinguished journalist Stephen Colbert here…

Just curious: anyone else reading this?  I’d love to hear your thoughts…

No comments:

Post a Comment