Tuesday, October 20, 2009

TUESDAY'S WITH MORRIE

TUESDAY’S WITH MORRIE by MITCH ALBOM   I read this book for the first time about 7 years ago.  From that very first moment, it has remained very close to my heart.  I had never heard of Mitch Albom, let alone Morrie Shwartz, but upon reading this book I became attached.  I write about this now because I have read this book  more than a dozen times since I got it.  Last night, being one of them.  Whenever I begin to feel overwhelmed with life, I revert back to this story.  If you’ve ever met me, or had a conversation with me about this book, you’d know the passion I speak with, when I talk about it.  I cannot stress enough, just how much this book has changed my perspective on life.  I’ve recommended it to several people, some who do not even enjoy reading, but have all come back to me saying it moved them.  Everything that this book is about, has been told many times.  Morrie is not the first to try to instill these beliefs into the lives of many.  However, there’s just something about this book that always gets me.  There is just something about reading this book that speaks louder to me, than anything else trying to convey the same messages.  Anything I write cannot do justify to how amazing I think this book is.  I have yet to meet a person that did not gain anything from reading it.  I don’t want to try to convince anyone of the significance I believe it could have on your life.  Instead I am simply asking you to please - if you’ve got some time, and are looking for something to read, if you are looking for some enlightenment…READ THIS BOOK!  You will not be disappointed. I’ll leave you all with an excerpt from the book – one that has remained my absolute favourite quote since the moment I read it.  I believe it was actually one of my first posts when I started this blog.  Whenever I let life get the best of me, I read this quote over and over, and remember to DETACH. “Learn to detach…Don’t cling to things, because everything is impermanent… But detachment doesn’t mean you don’t let the experience penetrate you. On the contrary, you let it penetrate fully. That’s how you are able to leave it… Take any emotion–love for a woman, or grief for a loved one, or what I’m going through, fear and pain from a deadly illness. If you hold back on the emotions–if you don’t allow yourself to go all the way through them–you can never get to being detached, you’re too busy being afraid. You’re afraid of the pain, you’re afraid of the grief. You’re afraid of the vulnerability that love entails. But by throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way, over your head even, you experience them fully and completely. You know what pain is. You know what love is. You know what grief is. And only then can you say, ‘All right. I have experienced that emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now I need to detach from that emotion for a moment.” *sigh. I could read this book many times over, and it never ceases to lose it’s meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment