Saturday, November 7, 2009

Once Upon a Week: Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

Spindle’s End

by Robin McKinley

ISBN – 13: 978-0-441-00865-0

Rating: none yet, tentative 4 ♥ / 5 ♥

A masterful retelling of “Sleeping Beauty”. Cursed by the evil fairy Pernicia, Princess Briar-Rose is kidnapped by the young fairy Katriona in order to save her and is raised by Katriona and her aunt. But the determined Pernicia, intent on revenge for a defeat 400 years before, won’t give up her search.

 

Unfortunately, I cannot give a full review of Spindle’s End right now. I had to order the book in, and it arrived only at the beginning of the week. It’s quite a bit longer than I thought, and with my work schedule this week I had very little time for anything else but sleeping. I am half way through, though!

I’m really enjoying Robin McKinley’s writing style, it’s very lyrical and kind of cheeky. Her discriptions are beautiful and not overwhelming. So far I’m quite intrigued by her characters, and her unique take on the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. I quite like Katriona (a young fairy), and her aunt. The world McKinley’s created is full and varied – I love her take on magic!

So far, I’m giving this a 4 out of 5 hearts. Once I finish, I’ll post another half review and give my final rating!

No comments:

Post a Comment