Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Clear Moon, Frost by Amy Small McKinney

Charles Louden* – The Fox Chase Review 

      Amy Small-McKinney writes from a humble yet intense place turning phrases and the constant drumbeat of metaphors. Small-McKinney celebrates some simple things in life: 

From The Meaning of Life

“I am happy when I find the juicy orange/ I am happy when the sofa is on sale/ happiest when I have not lost my job.” 

From Dillsburg, PA       

“The frogs have begun whistling/ Black Walnut trees, their green globes/ the size of tennis balls, have not begun to shed/ or to make their mess, though they secret walnuts inside.” 

       Small-McKinney brings us back to stark reality: 

From Found

“my house is gray.  All color gone/ I lift up the light. It gathers in my hands” 

From White Poem

“I walked scattered into the worm hand of myself/ I was nothing, I swear only scattered/ ashes before ashes, before the earth/ that refused to receive me” 

Clear Moon, Frost by Amy Small McKinney is available from Finishing Line Press at this link: www.finishinglinepress.com 

You can read the poetry of Amy Small McKinney in The Fox Chase Review at this link:

http://www.foxchasereview.org/09AW/14-ASmall-McKinney.html 

Amy Small McKinney will read her poetry with Leonard Gontarek at The Fox Chase Reading Series, “Featured Poets Reading”, at 3 Sisters Corner Café in Fox Chase on April 24th @2pm. 

* Charles Loudon lives on Cottman Avenue in Philadelphia, he is not sure if he lives in Fox Chase or Burholme depending on who he speaks with. He is frequent visitor to the Ryerss Library.

[Via http://foxchasereview.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment