Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Mayo Clinic Diet Book Review

Who doesn’t need to lose weight?  I fully admit I need to, especially after I made a cinnamon roll and cream cheese frosting bundt cake that was swimming in butter at 10:00 pm this evening.  (I know, shame on me.)  I’ve never ate a healthy diet in my life and my best attempts at nutrition are drinking water, taking fish oil pills and eating whipped yogurt.  The Mayo Clinic Diet is a book I was more than happy to review for this blog, especially since I was a patient of Mayo Clinic last year and was blown away by their campus and the doctors I met who finally diagnosed me with Dysautonomia. 

The Mayo Clinic Diet starts off with a quick introduction by Dr. Donald Hensrud, reminding readers that this book and it’s recommendations isn’t a fad diet and it was written due to the various bogus “Mayo Clinic Diets” that have been around for years.  The book starts off with a two-week plan to get you on track and losing up to 6 – 10 pounds right away.  And then it gets down to the nitty-gritty, and tells the reader the five simple habits they need to help them take off the weight, as well as gives them five habits to break so that you can keep it from coming back.  When I came across their healthy weight pyramid, I was thrilled to see they had added in “fats” and “sweets,” two very important food groups close to my heart.  I personally think this is why most other diets don’t work, because they usually keep fats and sweets away from you, when we all know this is impossible. 

The book is very cool, it is extremely visual and easy to read, and it includes everything from recipes to visual clues on serving sizes (page 88, you were my favorite, as you were filled with beautiful images of steak) to many strategies for all of the behavior obstacles every emotional eater and junk food junkie faces.  If you are nutritionally challenged like I am, you will find a solution to every challenge you face, especially important ones, such as “I can’t afford healthy foods,” “I don’t have time to exercise,” and “I’m not good at menu planning.”  I like the scare tactics section, where the book tells you why you are overweight and what this can do to your health.  Mayo scared me straight after learning that people who have gained over 10 pounds from young adulthood are at risk for weight-related conditions.  One of my worst fears is getting diabetes, and having a foot or leg cut off like my step-uncle.  When I was a young adult, I weight between 116 – 125 pounds.  (I was 5′10, so this was pretty skinny for a tall chick.)  I can assure all of you that I am most definitely at least ten pounds over that weight today, partly my thyroid’s fault.  I’ve always abused food my entire life and I know this book can cure me from that.  Because when I am hitting cinnamon and butter late at night and alone because I’m not feeling good, I know I have a problem and I’m close to hitting rock bottom.  If you are anything like me, then this book needs to be in your hands asap.

Buy your copy of The Mayo Clinic Diet here.

Mayo Clinic is the first not-for-profit integrated group practice in the world.  Doctors from every specialty work together to diagnose and treat patients.  Mayo is the largest integrated hospital in the world and they treat over a half a million patients every year.  When you buy a copy of this book, the proceeds will fund medical education and research at Mayo Clinic.  So, by helping yourself, you are also helping out people like me.

[Via http://thegirlfromtheghetto.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment