Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fire Raiser

I recently read Fire Raiser by Melanie Rawn.  This is the sequel to Spellbinder.  Recently released in mass market, it came out in hardcover a little over a year ago.

Fire Raiser is a contemporary fantasy.  I hesitate to call it urban fantasy (though that’s probably the more common term) since it’s set in Pocahontas County, West Virginia.  It’s a little slow getting started, though that’s partly a difference between the fantasy genre and that of romance.  It took me a while to get used to Melanie’s style again, but I’m glad I hung in there. What seem to be digressions come back around to tie in to the main story or sub-plots while enriching the character development.  Since I know Melanie, I could hear her voice at several points, but the characters still remain true to themselves.

The book really came alive for me when Cam and Jamie’s relationship was introduced.  I admit it, I like a good romance, and this is a lovely one.  The author mentions that Jamie was one of those characters that pop up and insist on being included.  I’m glad she listened to him!

Fire Raiser can be enjoyed without having read Spellbinder.  Melanie has set this up well for a sequel, one I eagerly await.

[Via http://frankierobertson.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment