Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Stoner and Spaz ~Book Review

Hey sorry guys, I haven’t posted in a while. Senior year is really cracking on me hard. I’ve had lots of ideas of what to say, but haven’t been able to sit down and actually vomit my words onto a blog. So I thought I’d do this review about this book I read recently and loved. It’s called Stoner and Spaz by Ron Koertge. Essentially it’s about this boy who has cerebral palsy who meets a girl who’s a complete drug addict. As a result, he learns about falling in love or lust and really starts to get out of his shell. The hero of our story is Ben who has C.P. and has to deal with that while being in high school. His grandma raised him to be this perfect student who is going to Standford, yet it seems that he doesn’t want to go there. Then he meets Colleen who is a drug addict who does weed and crack. (essentially anything she can get her hands on) For a while they start hanging out and it seems that Colleen might clean up, but it doesn’t turn out that way. Ben also learns to crack out of his shell to talk to people as he makes this movie about high school.

All in all this is an amazing little book (only 169 pages long). You really get a good feel of the characters quickly and start to feel terrible for Ben as you realize that he’s extremely disabled and lives a sheltered life. I really also liked the writing style –it just fit. I managed to sit down and read this book in two-three hours, so that made me happy.

I would recommend this book to any one who is looking for a story that may not have the perfect ending. If you want to check the book, do so here

~Nicole

[Via http://wakecounty.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment