Sunday, August 9, 2009

Book Review: The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum

Synopsis from BN.com:

His past. Her future. Can love bring them together in time?

Abby’s senior year of high school is going according to plan: good friends, cute boyfriend, and college applications in the mail. But when Dante Alexander, foreign-exchange student from Italy, steps into her life, he turns it upside down. He’s mysterious, and interesting, and unlike anyone she’s ever met before. Abby can’t deny the growing attraction she feels for him. Nor can she deny the unusual things that seem to happen when Dante is around. Soon Abby finds herself drawn into a mystery whose roots reach into sixteenth-century Florence, and she uncovers a dangerous truth that threatens not only her future but the lives of those she loves.

Girlchamploo’s Review:

I say this often, and I’ll say it again, Twilight, or Stephenie Meyer, has seriously ruined the future of most teen supernatural romances. Everything I read since Twilight, I think “This is so twilight-esque,” but is it? Because she used every girly love cliche out there doesn’t make Meyer the original Teen romance author, which saddens me.. however, as much as I hate to say it, The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum was a little thick on the “twilight-esque”.

But I loved it! It was sultry and mysterious and leaves your whole body aching for the next book. I was left so unsatisfied at the end, thinking “But I was just beginning to understand it all!” Lisa Mangum’s ideas are refreshing and inspiring. I loved her take on time travel and the time paradox. Her characters are alive and well in my memory even now writing this review.

Her writing style was a little rough, considering it was a debut, but not impossible to get through. I was a little bored after so many paragraphs of dow dreamy, dark and handsome Dante was, but I think Twilight just wore me out on lusting for dark, mysterious and seemingly dangerous strangers. That being said, it didn’t stop me falling for Dante myself. He’s a true gentlemen and I’ll admit I kept thinking about investing in an Italian dictionary!

If you want a new, exciting tale of time travel and endearing love, The Hourglass Door should be your nest pick!

Plot: * * * *

Characters: * * * *

Writing: * * *

Overall: * * * *

Cover: * * * * *

[Via http://girlchamploo.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment