Friday, August 21, 2009

Come on over....just don't look under the sink!

I don’t like clutter. I open my mail over the recycle bin, organize my closet by color, rotate the stock on my pantry shelves. I’m not obsessive about it, I promise. I just find life easier when there’s a place for everything and every thing is in its place. There are a few exceptions to this rule in our house – one of them being the top of the refrigerator. At any given time there may be all sorts of whatnot up there…including stacks of books for review. How perfectly ironic that this one should get lost in one of those stacks.  A Perfect Mess by Lisa Harper is a title I should have read, reviewed and posted last month.  The subtitle makes it even better:  “Why You Don’t Have to Worry About Being Good Enough for God”.  Does that statement do your heart as much good as it does mine?

Maybe, like me, you were brought up in a culture that dictated what a Christian did or did not do.  And perhaps the message that your still-wondering ears heard was that the “do” and “don’t” list greatly influenced your acceptability in God’s eyes.  A Perfect Mess is the study of 13 Psalms that will open your mind to the truth of God’s absolutely unconditional love and acceptance of His children.  Before you think, “another stale Old Testament Bible study, just what I need” let me assure that this is no stuffy, boring book.  Lisa Harper’s writing is hilarious one minute, heart-wrenching the next.   I so loved the humor in this book.  Any woman who refers to goats as “cute, moveable yard art” has earned a place on my must-read list from now on.   But the book isn’t just funny, it is filled with knowledge, wisdom and I’m guessing a few “Aha” moments for every reader.

I remember laughing at a commercial years ago where a polished-looking business woman admitted that she’d used nail polish to fix her pantyhose and her hem was held together by scotch tape.  No matter how much pressure we feel to look or act a certain way,  God sees what’s underneath.  And He loves who He sees. 

So, yeah…I keep a pretty clean house.  Really, you can drop in anytime and things will seem to be in order.  Just please don’t look under the bathroom sink.

To learn more about A Perfect Mess or to purchase a copy, visit this link or simply click on the photo below:  

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307457882&ref=externallink_wbp_aperfectmess_sec_0526_01

To WIN a free copy of this book, leave a comment below!  Winner will be chosen at random from all comments left betwen 08/21/09 and 08/31/09.  Good luck!

[Via http://endofthestory.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment