Tuesday, September 8, 2009

baby proof by emily giffin

I finally finished this book. It only took me about a month, but I did it. Out of all of Emily Giffin’s books, I can safely say that this was my least favorite.

Giffin has written a total of four books. I would highly recommend Something Borrowed and Something Blue. You have to read these in the order I just put them. Both books are about trying to find oneself and determining the cost of true love. I like the first one because it’s full of deception and it keeps you on your toes. The second one is even better because of the way a person grows from mistakes.

Her third book, Love the One You’re With, is good, but not great. That one isn’t as full of deception, but rather trying to decide whether or not you’ve made the right choices in life when it comes to love. Giffin has a reoccuring theme in her books, which is adultery. I sometimes wonder if she cheated/was cheated on at some point in her life. I wouldn’t be surprised.

Now, Baby Proof is a different story. Meet Claudia and Ben. The perfect married couple who have it all. Successful jobs (she’s an editor for a publishing company and I forget what he does, but it’s equally as perfect), great sex life, wonderful friends, they get to travel whenever they want to, and neither of them has any desire to ever have children. That is, until Ben catches the baby bug. Suddenly, Claudia’s in a world of hurt and feels betrayed by the only person she’s ever truly loved. Then, in a matter of pages, they are getting a “dee-vorce,” as Claudia’s niece Zoe puts it. Life isn’t so perfect anymore.

I had the hardest time just trying to turn pages in this book. Children aren’t something that excite me, so I can kind of relate with Claudia on that, but good Lord, the woman is stubborn. She decides it’s her way or the highway and so she ends the best thing that could happen to her, all because she refuses to have even one child (she won’t even consider adopting). You’ve got to respect the gal for sticking up for herself, but COME ON! I was just a tad bit annoyed.

So, I finally stuck with it and read about three quarters of the book yesterday just to get it out of the way. She ends up dating an older man, who you think would be perfect for her because he’s a bachelor set in his ways who has no desire to have children. BUT! He’s not Ben. Boo hoo. The man, Richard, takes Claudia to Italy for her birthday, gives her an expensive ring (to be worn on the right hand!) and adores her to death. No, it’s not enough. Claudia then discovers that Ben has a “friend.” Enter jealousy. Ben’s “friend,” Tucker (yes, it’s a girl), is pretty enough and after an exhausting Google search, finds out that she’s a doctor. Uh oh, I think someone has been one-upped. Enter more jealousy. In the end, Claudia finally decides that she’ll do anything to get Ben back, even if that means having his child. So, what does she do? She WAITS. She waits and waits and waits and waits and waits and waits and waits. What is she waiting for? She’s waiting for the perfect opportunity to tell Ben that she still loves him and that she’ll have his baby. She certainly waited for the WRONG time. Claudia runs into Tucker at the hospital and discovers a rock on her left ring finger. Nooooooooooooo! Ben’s engaged!

I won’t spoil the end for you. The best part of this book is that one of her characters from Something Blue makes a cameo and you get a sneak peek into their life about five years after we left him in his own book. Oh man, I was freaking out. The worst part of this book? It leaves you hanging. Supposedly, Giffin is coming out with another book, so maybe that will give us some answers.

Overall, I give this book a three out of five. If you’re bored, read it. But I would find something else first.

[Via http://malloryleigh.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment