Friday, September 25, 2009

<i>Practical Demonkeeping</i> by Christopher Moore

After my recent historical fiction kick, I felt the need for something different.  Don’t get me wrong.  Historical fiction, in one form or another, is my favorite genre.  But, occasionally, we all need a change.  What could fit the description “different” more than a book by the fabulously off-kilter Christopher Moore?

Practical Demonkeeping starts out hilariously.  The stereo stealing raccoons made me wonder what else the possum on my front porch the other night wanted besides food.  That whole scene, music preferences included, had me giggling out loud.  Luckily, I was in my own bedroom.  Chris Moore definitely has a gift for the bizarre and absurd. 

Having said that, I didn’t like this book nearly as much as I did Fool or, better yet, The Stupidest Angel and Coyote Blue.  Compared to them, Practical Demonkeeping was almost boring at times.

Any book by this author is an outrageously, outlandishly, funny read, and I definitely intend to continue going through his back list.  Next time, I’ll probably read Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck (not sure which one comes first) in anticipation of next year’s release:  Bite Me.

Rating:  3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment